Sunday 27 July 2014

Stila Ice Cream Collection

There's something quite sad when you see a brand you thought was great lose its way. Back in its heyday the Stila brand was unique, it wasn't just about the quality and design of the products but the brand had a very strong identity that made it stand out. Once the brand was sold everything that had made it special started to diminish. I've bought bits here and there from the brand since, perhaps for nostalgic purposes, but the Stila of today is miles away in some aspects from its original creation in my opinion.

It was with hope then that I eyed the recent Ice Cream collection, which in celebration of their 20th anniversary, revisited the vintage product design.
I ordered two of the eyeshadow trios, Mocha Chip (which I actually ordered in error, meaning to select Neapolitan) and Rocky Road. The packaging is similar to the old style, though the actual design on the lid is disappointingly very generic.

Mocha Chip contains a frosty cream, shimmery bronze and brown with a touch of gold sparkle.



Rocky Road contains a satin pink cream, shimmery taupe and a matte cool brown.



Priced at £18 each I think these are quite good value, they have a smooth texture, a very high pigment level and are easy to blend. However if I were to be picky (which you know I will be) and compare them to the original trios, these are more powdery, don't adhere as well to the lid and the finish of the shadows just isn't as good.

I was really hoping this would be a return, albeit brief, to the Stila of old but sadly that's not quite the case.

I bought these from http://stila.co.uk/

12 comments:

  1. These look so much like ones in my collection but with cuter packaging. When Stila does it right they have fabulous colors and textures. It doesn't seem that this is the case though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have high hopes for these, but they don't quite measure up to the original trios unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. This is how I kinda feel about M.A.C, when they first started in Canada they had amazing products and then lost it for me but they seem to be improving these days and only recently caught my eye. I've never tried Stila and what I've read in the past year is it seems the brand is a little confused. Hopefully they'll get back on track! If the quality was there, I would definitely consider that Rocky Road, love the color combination! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't try MAC in its early days but I know that a lot of people felt the quality changed for the worse when Estee Lauder bought them. I think confused is a good word for Stila at the moment, Rocky road is a nice range of shades though, taupe is always a good thing ;)

      Delete
  3. Kinda cute packaging, but I would want that older quality you talked about! It's always a shame when your favorite brand stops performing as well :/

    www.lilting-grace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was being hopeful they would be like they once were, still plenty of other lovely brands out there luckily ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi dear Clare,
    the second palette, Rocky Road is super nice,
    thanks for the review and for the swatches!
    Have a great day
    kisses
    Marghe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marghe,
      Thanks, Rocky Road is nice, the taupe of course sells it :)

      Delete
  5. I've never being into Stila products, such a shame their quality is not the same :( I really like the look of Rocky Road <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad how much a brand can change. Rocky Road is one of those classic combinations that's for sure :)

      Delete
  6. The taupe from Rocky Road looks like it is a dupe for "Yukon" e/s by Cargo Cosmetics. Cargo is very inexpensive and I adore the silver tin packaging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've not bought Cargo for years, it pulled out of most locations here some years back and then came back with a limited distribution so I sort of forgot about the brand, might have to re-visit :)

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin