Wednesday 31 October 2012

Sprout Skincare

Sprout Skincare is a Brooklyn-based company that produces a natural range of skin and body care products. The products contain an extremely simplified list of ingredients and are handmade in small batches using only traditional methods. All of Sprout's ingredients are either certified organic, Fair Trade, or sourced from small family farms. They are also certified cruelty free by PETA and all products are Vegan Friendly.

Though I was happy with my skin regime I always get intrigued with new brands.
The makeup remover (£8) contains organic Sweet almond oil, Extra-virgin olive oil and Jojoba oil.

It has a good consistency, not too thin that it runs down your face but not so thick that it’s difficult to spread. It does remove my makeup well and also eye makeup (though can make your eyes a bit blurry afterwards) I do feel like it left a layer on my skin and felt a toner was necessary after use.

The cleanser (£15) I used more as a toner as I felt like its ability to cleanse the skin was a bit limited, it felt pleasant on the skin and was not drying and worked well after the makeup remover to lift off the residue. It contains organic Rosewater, Vegetable glycerin and Tea tree oil.

I really wanted to like these products and depending on your skin type I do think these could be an effective paring for cleansing/makeup remover, however whilst I think for sensitive skin simplicity is the way to go, if you don't get on with the ingredients then you have problems and unfortunately my skin did not get on with these.
Using the makeup remover, either on its own, with the cleaner or with other brands, I got congested skin. With the cleanser, again on its own or with other products I got irritated bumps.

My skin is back to normal now after nearly a month due to my return to my trusty skincare brands (Pai, Ambre Botanicals and Omorovicza) and I think this little detour has made me realise I should really stick to what I know.

For those new to my blog please note that I do have very sensitive/reactive skin so would not want to discourage someone from this brand who does not have said skin type.

I bought these from cutecosmetics.co.uk

8 comments:

  1. I've never seen this line before, but like the concept and the packaging...especially the seemingly handwritten info on the back showing who made the batch and use by date - makes it seem more personal and goes with the whole organic feel. But like you I have very reactive skin. Just by looking at the makeup remover ingredients I think I got a whole mess of clogs!! Ha ha :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gummy,
      I thought the handwritten bit was a nice touch as well. Like you I did wonder about the ingredients in the makeup remover, but decided to just go with it, clearly not my best idea ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that your skin is finally getting back to normal after the Sprout incident! I hate it when my skin goes bonkers from a new line!! Excellent review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the review Lola :) Yes I don't have a good success rate when trying new skincare brands x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this review!

    I have known Sprout for a While and intend to try out their products (mainly the lip balm and body scrub).... Hope I will be luckier!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clara,
      Yes, lets hope the brand works for you, I did like the look of some of their body care products, so will see how you get on with some of the other items :)

      Delete
  4. Cute packaging but homemade makeup remover is so much easier to make for much cheeper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,
    Yes, I can see with ingredients such as what these products contain that as long as you knew the amounts needed it would be possible to home make them :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin