Sunday 17 August 2014

Dior Fall 2014: New 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palette Versailles & Rouge Dior in Bar

For this Fall Dior has reinvented the 5 Couleurs palette, the packaging is now more sleek and the reformulated shadows come in matte, satiny, iridescent and ultra-shimmery finishes. I bought #566 Versailles (£42) as it looked like a nice wash of sheer shades and a liner combination. I only quickly swatched some shades of the palettes before settling on Versailles (I had a SA right by my side watching my every movement so felt uncomfortable swatching as thoroughly as I normally would) so it was only when I tried it at home that it became apparent how ultra shimmery/frosty the majority of shades were.  It contains a shimmery/frosty pinky peach, shimmery/frosty golden cream, satin finish cool brown, metallic/sparkle silver and in the centre a metallic/sparkle gold.
In terms of feel and performance the only finishes that I noticed a difference from the old style quints were the gold and silver. Dior's sparkle shades in the past have been rather lacking in pigment and prone to flaking in chunks but these are much smoother and have extremely high pigment that almost gives a wet look.
I do like this palette but have to apply all but the brown extremely lightly so that it doesn't end up too frosty.


I initially reached for a pretty pink Rouge Dior called Rose Tutu, but opted for the more novel #317 Bar (£26).

Unlike the reviews I have read I get absolutely no pink in this shade, for me it applies as a sheer grey beige, only with a lot more shimmer/frost than appears in the tube or from swatching. This really doesn't suit me and I think would work best if you have pigmented lips to allow the natural lip colour to mix in.

The formula feel creamy and smooth, though this shade does highlight dryness and lip lines. I'm annoyed with myself for buying this as I should have trusted my gut rather than being swayed by reviews I had read thus far.


I am going to go back for the Rouge Dior Rose Tutu and will take a look at the more matte shadow palette options but I'd say I'm more impressed with the texture and colour options of Chanel's reformulated palette release than I am with Dior.

I bought these from Boots

6 comments:

  1. Hm... that wasn't the Dior palette I was considering, but I love the way that it looks on you. And thank you for the warning about Bar. I often find that nude shades described as having pink in them just look brown/ beige on me. I'll avoid this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes, I wish I had avoided bar, I guess I'll just use it as a topper on other lipsticks to add a sheen, or let it fester at the back of my makeup drawer ;)

      Delete
  2. I end up purchasing Bar and rose tutu as well, bar is a strange shade for sure, it’s more of a beige not my favourite either : /

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes strange and also scary :) I think I would need really pigmented lips to make it wearable.

      Delete
  3. I honestly don't have much luck with Dior eye shadow palettes even with the new ones out, I just find them a little too frosty for my taste. This is a very pretty quad though and I love your eye look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree with you on the finish, I really think Dior need to calm down on the frostiness, the older I get the more wrong it looks on me x

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin