Sunday 31 August 2014

Tom Ford Nude Dip Eye Colour Quad Fall 2014

There has been so much hoopla over the Tom Ford Fall release, it was easy to get caught up with the "must have Fall collection" combined with a need for a rush purchase for fear of it being sold out everywhere.
When the collection was released early on Harvey Nichols I did what any good lemming would and quickly placed my order (I also bought one of the cheek duos).


Nude Dip (£63) contains a golden champagne, rose copper/gold, medium taupe and a dark brown.




The shades are soft, extremely smooth and apply seamlessly. All shades have high pigment and a good wear time.

There is no doubt that these are pretty colours with a very high quality texture and ease of application, however I'm not entirely happy with this. The sticking point for me is the actual finish of the two lighter shades. Whilst the darker shade is a satin and the taupe is shimmery (though quite shiny), the two lighter shades are very high shine, almost metallic. I personally find frosty shades difficult to carry off and there is too much of this going on with Nude Dip. I feel the palette would have been better grounded with the inclusion of just one high shine shade.

Don't get me wrong as there is a lot to like about this palette but I have to apply the lighter shades with an extremely light touch.
I don't regret this purchase as I know how I need to apply/wear it to make it work for me, but I think if you share my aversion to high shine/frosty shades this might not be the must have its been cited as.

I bought this from http://www.harveynichols.co.uk

12 comments:

  1. Hi Clare,
    Thanks so much for this honest review. Although I picked up Nude Dip too, if I would only pick up one to two palettes this season, it would certainly not be Nude dip, exactly because of the reasons you stated above, too shiny/metallic and not that versatile. I love Tom Ford Beauty and own all the palettes but recently there is a bit too much hype going around this brand, which makes me rethink about anything which is very very popular. I am glad to share the same thoughts with you on that one. Xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara, I'm glad we are of the same opinion on this as well. Though it looked too metallic from pics, as there was so much hype and extremely positive reviews I got sucked in, I need to take a step back in future x

      Delete
  2. Hi Clare, I missed out on this one but had a chance to swatch it earlier this weekend and it is beautiful, but it definitely would have been useful to have one matte shade included. I love the very pretty look you created with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes, a few adjustments and it could have really worked, I'll be interested to see if the brand continues with this finish in future palettes.

      Delete
  3. Hi dear Clare, I have never tried any Tom Ford eyeshadow. The best shade in this quad is the deep brown, the lighter one are too much metallic for my taste! =)
    Kisses
    Marghe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marghe,
      This is only my second palette from TF, I think this might be the most shiny/metallic one the brand has brought out thus far.

      Delete
  4. I loved this palette from the sneak peeks but sadly the frostiness of the shades put me off quite quickly. I'm glad you've been honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I saw a photo where they looked frosty but still tried to convince myself it would work, silly me, at least I can apply the shiny shades very lightly, guess it will last me a while ;)

      Delete
  5. I have yet to indulge in a TF quad. I'm thinking cocoa mirage, but does that seem a bit boring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is one of the most popular ones, I was tempted by it myself but thought it would be too warm, probably a safe option if you are feeling tempted by a TF palette :)

      Delete
  6. Great review, I've been looking at this palette, too.
    This palette truly could have been my HG if 3 of the shades were plain matte, while the rose copper/gold being the only shimmer to use as an accent color or sheer wash over the lid on quick days. Add a bit of winged liner and I'd be ready to go out of the door.
    High shine colors tend to make me look a bit silly as I don't usually go anywhere to require such a "special occasion" vibe. Someday I'll find my HG palette...maybe. TF does texture so well! These would be the 4 colors, just not the finishes. Thanks again for review as it saved me the hassle of lusting after it. Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes, had it been more of a matte or even satin affair it would have been a very different story, shame as I do really like the colours, but the finish is just too much, like you say more of a special occasion look. I just didn;t want to miss out on getting it after all the raves as I missed out on last years Fall palette and regretted it, mind you in hindsight this was not a must have, glad to have saved you from the lusting ;)

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin