Friday 7 January 2011

Elemental Herbology Skincare

Instead of having the products divided into categories of skin type, EH have the range divided by season, I found this interesting and when I thought about how my own skin changes over the year, an extremely good idea. The concept seems to be very much about protecting against the elements.

I emailed the brands website to ask for some ingredient lists and was suitably impressed when I got an almost instant friendly response with the requested ingredients and an offer to send out samples. I decided to buy the Cleansing balm and Flower Harmonising Mist but asked for a sample of the Cell Plumping Facial hydrator.

The Purify & Soothe Cleansing balm 75ml (£28), is very thick and has a smooth texture.
It gently dissolves makeup (including mascara without making you eyes go blurry).
Amongst the ingredients it contains Marshmallow to hydrate and soften; Strawberry Cells rich in fresh fruit enzymes to help shed dead skin cells; Sacha Inchi Oil which is a rich source of omega 3, 6 and 9 and Vitamin E rich Argan Oil.
I have found this a joy for my dry, reactive skin. I can attest to its soothing abilities as I have been using it over a nasty breakout I had (after using Oilatum Natural Face Cream) and also when my little boy came home with orange pen all over his face, which we couldn’t get off. I reached for this balm as I couldn’t think of what else to use. His cheeks were really red, extremely dry and irritated and this balm took off all the orange and caused him no discomfort. His skin was left soft and the redness eased. I’m not going to start my little boy on a skincare regime before you get worried but I was rather impressed and would use this again on him if the nursery decided to give him non washable pens again!

Purify & Soothe Ingredients:
Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil*, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride*, Hydrogenated Vegetable (Soya Bean) Oil*, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax*, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil*, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Powder*, Plukenetia Volubilis (Sacha Inchi) Oil*, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Canola Oil*, Fragaria Vesca (Strawberry) Fruit Extract*, Narcissus Poeticus Flower Wax*, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Althaea Officinalis Root Extract*, Angelica Archangelica Root Oil*, Boswellia Carterii Oil*, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil*, Maltodextrin*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Limonene*, Linalool*. *Ingredients derived from 100% natural source

The Cell Plumping Facial hydrator SPF 8 50ml (£40) is meant to Plump, hydrate and repair parched,overexposed winter skin. I initially didn’t buy this as I thought it would be very heavy and was concerned about the Maris Sal, as although quite far down the ingredients list, I always break out if a product has sodium chloride in it, I'd be interested to know if sea salt and sodium chloride are exactly the same?
However, I got no break outs and after using my samples I bought the full size one. The texture is quite thick, however it sinks in extremely quickly with no greasiness. It provides just enough moisture for my dry skin, however I don’t think it would be enough for those with very dry skin. It contains anti-oxidants, marine actives and soothing botanicals. I think this is a good cream to soothe winter skin.

Cell Plumping Ingredients:
Rosa Damascena Flower Water*, Aqua*, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate (SPF 12), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil*, Cetearyl Alcohol*, Ceteareth-6 Olivate*, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Glyceryl Stearate*, Glycerin*, Plukenetia Volubilis (Sacha Inchi) Oil*, Rosa Canina Seed Oil*, Panthenol (Vitamin B3), Soluble Collagen*, Pearl Powder*, Ubiquinone, Royal Jelly*, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil*, Avena Strigosa Seed Extract*, Paniceum Milliaceum (Millet) Seed Extract*, Malpighia Glabra (Acerola) Fruit Extract*, Lecithin*, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), PEG-100 Stearate*, Cetearyl Glucoside*, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil*, Oryzanol*, Arginine*, Maris Sal*, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Disodium EDTA, Maltodextrin*, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tannic Acid*, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Citral*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Limonene*, Linalool*. *Ingredients derived from 100% natural source

I was initially using the Flower Harmonising Mist Facial tonic 50ml (£20) as a toner but then decided it might be more beneficial if I just left it on my skin after I sprayed it. Its made from Pure Rose Damask Water and Rose Damask Essential Oil. It feels comforting and makes my skin feel soft.
Flower Harmonising Mist ingredients:
Rosa Damascena Flower Water*, Glycerin*, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil*, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil*, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Citral (source essential oil), Eugenol(source essential oil), Geraniol (source essential oil), Citronellol (source essential oil), Linalool (source essential oil)
* Ingredients derived from 100% natural source

None of these items have broken me out nor caused my sensitive skin any reactions. Note that all the products seems to have a natural fragrance, probably the flower oils. I think all of them are particularly suited to my dry, easily irritated and sensitive skin. I am on my second Mist and Cleanser now so its a definite thumbs up from me.
I bought these from SpaceNK and I think that is the only site that stocks the brand.

Here is the website for more information http://www.elementalherbology.com/

9 comments:

  1. I got a sample of Elemental Herbology in the freebie bag from the SpaceNK event last autumn and thought nothing of it and promptly gave it away to my Mum I think, which was a bit daft really because my skin is picky and samples are so few and far between it is important to take advantage of them. Whilst I am by no stretch of the imagination dry, this range could be good for me to check out - thanks so much for this. Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan,
    I think if you email their site they would send you out some samples, might be worth a go x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound lovely and I'm tempted to email and ask for some samples. I was also very interested to see that the Oilatum broke you out. I would recommend you write to Stiefel the company that manufactures it, to let them know. It would be useful for them especially as their products are skin treatments and often used by people with sensitive/reactive skin.

    Sodium Chloride is the chemical name for salt. Not sure if the salt that's used in cosmetics is processed in any way. I know the lab grade salt that we used was just like table salt.

    I cannot believe that nursery gave your son non-washable pens. Are they crazy?!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost forgot. I've decided not to go for the Cham Pale paint pots for now. The RBR Cream Eyeshadows are coming out soon (Zu already has them). By the sounds of the colours, I'm going to like them even more than the Cham Pale shades!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane,
    I have a feeling you would like the balm so do think you should try and get samples.
    I was really miffed that the Oilatum broke me out, looking at the ingredients I am not sure why and everyone else seems to love it, I thought it sounded perfect for me! I'm not sure how I would go about writing to them though as if my acne is bad enough to be on medication for it I wonder if they would say that is why I broke out?
    With the salt I wonder if they process sea salt slightly differently?
    Sometimes they take my little boy up to the pre-school bit so I bet that it where he was let lose with the blasted pens, I have a feeling it will happen again!
    RBR cream shadows, of dear, bye bye money. If you have any of those little travel pots you can always send them my way and I can give you some of my paint pots as they have so much product in them x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: Stiefel, they make acne treatments that are available on prescription. As well as other products prescribed for skin conditions. It's why I thought it might be useful feedback for them and they would have a better understanding of why it might have happened. I know it's a pain in the neck writing though. I do it occasionally as I figure it might be useful for the brands.

    I haven't got any pots at the minute (I wish Mum had bought more back from Thailand). Thank you for the very kind offer though. I know what you mean about being loads in them. Even when I was using Painterly daily I never seemed to make a significant dent.

    Sounds like nursery are very handy. At least you'll know what to use when it happens again! With the new EB lipsticks and the RBR creams coming, I don't know what to hit first. I went shopping today though and I was useless. I wanted to spend the £15 on my Debs card but couldn't make a decision on what to get. I blame my handy entourage of Husband, two over-excited boys and baby. Not the greatest shopping assistants!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane,
    Thats interesting that they make acne treatments, although I have not have any success with any topical acne treatments I have been prescribed in the past. I think I wouldn't know what to write really as I can only say it broke me out but then probably 80% of skincare I have ever tried does.
    I wonder if your £15 Deb points would last for when the Chanel spring comes out? We must get it spent ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi there -just passing through whilst looking something up on Elemental Herbology but wanted to let you know it's great - I used to have acne and am now back to normal with a little scarring - the only ranges which have been fab are all natural ones (and all pricey unfortunately).

    EH is very gentle & in fact the summer cream at SPF 12 is very good on combination skin all year round (apply lightly though as it has more pearl extract than the winter one so if overdone gives a "tin man" effect!) The star product though is definitely the facial glow - gentle fruit peel - absolutely amazing at detoxing congestion & lightening scarred areas - ask for a sample as it's very expensive but lasts forever.

    Also Trilogy is beautiful, brilliant & affordable - just a great range for acne & scarring, their cream cleanser is one of the very best and again soothes skin as well as removing all make up including waterproof eye gunk. Vaishaly range is also lovely but very expensive.

    Sorry for poking my nose in but was just passing by and your skin sounds like mine so hope this helps - I always appreciated hearing other's experiences or it can be an expensive & experimental journey!!

    All the best & Happy Saturday to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Happyface,
    Thanks for your comment, it is really helpful as I feel like I have gone though nearly every brand for skincare I know of!
    I will have to try the summer cream and the facial glow as I do have quite a lof of scarring left which really stands out so it would be nice to reduce it a bit. I did have a sample of their cell food which seemed quite nice, have you used that?
    I have heard good things about Vaishaly but have not yet tried them, I think I only had 1 thing from Trilogy but wasn't overly impressed, but I might have to look into their cleanser :) Thanks again for your thoughts, always good to hear from someone who has similar skin problems to mine x

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin