Sunday 2 January 2011

Louise Young LY38 - Tapered shadow brush

Like many I first heard of Louise Young through watching Pixiwoo tutorials on youtube, where they use her brushes often. The one that stood out to me was the LY38 - Tapered shadow brush, as I thought it might be a replacement for my MAC 266 (great application of colour, however so scratchy and uncomfortable that I rarely use it). The LY38 cost £16 which I think is very competitive pricing compared to a lot of my brushes. The brush head shape is similar to the MAC but you can see the difference in the tip below as the LY one is slighter longer and slimmer.
This is how the brushes look after they have been washed and dried, the LY is at the top:
This is how the brushes look after they have been used, the LY one is on the left.
The LY brush is a lot softer and I was extremely surprised how much pigment this can pick up from a shadow, it also blends the colour out nicely. There is no scratchiness whatsoever. I think its definitely worth having a look at and I will be picking up some more of their brushes.
I also got the New Essential Eye Palette which I will show you as soon as I have worked out how to wear it, if you haven’t seen the picture on the site already it contains a terracotta shade which is not quite working for me (http://www.louiseyoungcosmetics.com/makeup.php).
My Husband bought these for me from the Louise Young site (http://www.louiseyoungcosmetics.com/index.php), the delivery was really quick and the postage quite cheap (£2.99).

10 comments:

  1. OoooooooOOOoooooooooooooOOOoooooh!!
    You got it! It looks good, maybe I should drop hints for my birthday? I don't think my husband will get sidetracked by colour in the same way that I would ;)

    Thanks for the review,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was going to purchase my first brushes and was thinking the only way to go was mac, but im swayed by your opinion and will have to check out LY

    Thanks for the in depth info x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have it and much prefer it to my mac 222/224/226.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read lots of great things about the LY brushes, I must grab a few this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane,
    I think it might have to go on your need list :) Thats good timing if your birthday is coming up what with all the spring collections coming out, Lancome already had their one out, seemed rather early!

    Hi Abbi,
    Thanks, I could see the line being a good dupe and maybe better than MAC's. I think that LY has some kits as well if you want to buy a set of brushes.

    Hi Ketoglutarat,
    Do you have any other LY brushes ?

    Hello Jadegrrrl,
    I have been wanting to get one for ages, took me a long time, I quite like the look of their big fan brush as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Replica! I like the Sonia Kashuk crease brush as a good inexpensive dupe of the MAC 266, its soft and really the price was what swayed me because I used to be a loyal MAC 217 user. Recently I have started using alternative crease brushes: favorites are the Edward Bess luxury eye brush and Sonia Kashuk one I just mentioned. The MAC 224 was always too loose and flimsy for me, but I'm reaching for it more. My eye is on the Chanel #12 next, its very unique in my opinion, because its fluffy like a 224, but quite pointy at the tip, so you get a very different look. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lakshmi,
    I'm sure we only had Sonia Kashuk briefly here but it had a massive mark up.
    That Chanel #12 sounds interesting, I do have a few Chanel brushes which I like but don't think I have seen that one, will have to check it out when the spring collection comes out at the end of the month ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very helpful post! :)

    It also looks like it would be much better for those that are looking to create a more defined crease shape or smaller eyes/lidspace etc!!!
    A brush like this is definitely missing from my collection!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tina,
    Thanks, you are right about it being better for a more defined crease as well, would be a good addition to your collection I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice blog...

    hi, do check out my blog and follow me too I appreciate it so much. thanks in advance

    peppermintcrinkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin