Sunday 11 January 2015

Dior Kingdom of Colours Spring 2015: Mono Shadow in Fairy Grey, Rouge Dior Baume Belle de Printemps and Cotillon

For 2015 I'd made the decision to cut down on the makeup spending, I thought I was safe when I first saw the images for the Dior Spring Kingdom of colours, which whilst pretty weren't screaming unique at me, but of course I relented.
I would like to point out that again we have a collection whereby not all items are released in every country (brands like Dior, YSL and Chanel seem to do this quite a bit). From what I can tell so far (as the collection is only out at Selfridges as I write this), in the UK we have not received the DiorBlush in Peach Splendor nor Khôl Eyeliner in #349 pearly mint but do have two new Fusion Mono Eyeshadows, the Mono shadow in Fairy Grey and an extra three Rouge Dior Baumes which certain other countries won't be receiving.


Mono shadow in Fairy Grey (£22.50), is a medium grey/silver infused with differing colour micro glitter. The glitter is what sells this shade as they provides a lovely twinkliness when they catch the light.

Pigment is a bit lacking initially but can be built up sufficiently. Glitter shades usually mean some fall out and I did get some when using a UD primer but don't if I use my By Terry one, so you may need to play around with what base you use. The shadow is lightweight and feels smooth and there are no problems with blending.

Swatched below and then a built up swatch.


Fairy Grey is a pretty shade, albeit a more flashy/shiny shade than I would normally go for, but I can't say I am a fan of the mono shadow formula, whilst it does perform sufficiently, I prefer something more creamy with a better coverage.


Of the five limited edition Rouge Dior Baume I bought #448 Belle de Printemps and #668 Cotillon (£26 each).
Belle de Printemps is the soft apricot/peachy shade used for the Ready-to-Wear S/S 2015 collection look.

Cotillon looks red in the tube but  goes on as more of a fuchsia.

Both shades go on less bright than they look in the tube. These colours are just so pretty for that pop of fresh colour.

However, though I'm a fan of the Rouge Baume formula as they provide hydration and have a lightweight, comfortable feel, I unfortunately found that Belle de Printemps does not apply as smoothly as my other Rouge Baume's and instead tends to clump and settle into lip lines.

Out of what I bought, Cotillon is the only must have for me, though I am still feeling the temptation to get the eyeshadow quints, so my plan to spend less in 2015 is going exceedingly well....

Ironically, from most of the reviews I have read so far,  it seems that the Dior Kingdom of Colors Palette which is the centrepiece of the collection has not gone down well and is one to skip.

I bought these from http://www.selfridges.com

12 comments:

  1. Hey Clare, so sorry to hear two of the pieces turned out to be meh for you! I actually am not that big of a fan of Rouge Dior Baume myself. The color I have is too sheer, and I don't find it MUCH more hydrating than Rouge Dior for example. I was hoping something will come along and change my mind soon, but I guess it won't be Belle de Printemps!

    The palette seems like a collector's item. I don't have very high hopes for it, since it's mixed-medium and I tend to avoid those in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder that I should have gone for other items in the collection. Quite a few of the Rouge Dior show up dry areas on me so I do prefer the Baumes, though the best hydrating lip products I've tried so far are the Burberry balms they brought out last Spring.
      I think your right about the palette, does seem more of collectors piece.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous colors; especially that mono shadow! I think I'll skip these considering they're not up to par. It's such a shame that the eyeshadow wasn't amazing because it really is a stunning color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have very high hopes from the shadow after seeing swatches of it but its just not quite as good in the flesh, pretty but not a must have really, in hindsight I would not have got it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Clare,
    I know Fairy Grey is not an everyday shade but it is so gorgeous. You may layer it on some cream eye shadows as well to provide additional dimension. It is good to know that By Terry base works with these, I have tried it only with UD base and it did fall out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara,
      Good idea to use it over a cream base, at the moment I like it best used as more of a topper in the middle of the lid over other shadows, it is pretty just not as magical as I was expecting ;) I really do like the By Terry base, though have the wrong shade so need to get the lightest one, shame its rather spendy though!

      Delete
  4. I've been giving my glitters/shimmers the back seat recently -- I've limited myself to the lower lash line for those just to bring a little brightening, but I just find that the glitter gets everywhere, no matter how carefully I apply it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glitter can be a pain, though some brands do it a lot better than others, this Dior is fine with the right base. That sounds nice using glitter on the lower lash line only, I shall give that a go :)

      Delete
  5. Funny, Fairy Grey and Cotillion are the only things that really called to me- even more so after reading your review, since I think I could find a way to work with FG just so I could have its lovely shimmery-ness- from this collection and I don't think Canada is getting either of them. Money saved for me, I suppose, although there are a couple of Spring collections that are probably going to take care of any excess pocket change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      I think every conutry is meant to be getting Cotillion and the beige one, I was also under the impression that Canada was getting the same as UK so you might be in luck with getting Fairy Grey, I think it could work well with building it up and Sara's suggestion on using a cream base is a good one.
      Spring is going to be costly I think, I want the Burberry fancy blusher, Suqqu and Chantecaille so far :)

      Delete
  6. Fairy Grey looks very pretty but I haven't been very impressed with Dior lately so I've been skipping their collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can be rather hit and miss, and lots of other brands Spring ranges to spend your money on ;) I didn't really get on with their new quint formula, though the ones in this collection are meant to be a lot better so I am still tempted :)

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin