Sunday 25 August 2013

Chanel Superstition Fall collection: Mystere Les 4 Ombres Eyeshadow Palette

I had no hesitation in buying the Mystere quad from the Superstition Fall collection, a predominantly cool toned palette featuring khakis to create a smoky look. What's not to like? Well it turns out quite a lot.....

The quad contains a deep black/brown with a bit of golden shimmer, very sheer shimmery golden ivory, matte deep browned khaki and a satin finish grey.

Though the baked formula is often dry and powdery, I felt like there had been an improvement with releases from the last 2 years in terms of colour payoff, smoothness and blending, unfortunately Mystere is very much the poorer version of the baked formula in my opinion. Baring the grey, all shades are very dry and powdery and do not blend well at all. Using them wet there is improved pigment, however blending is still an issue and colours still fade (even with trying various eye primers).


In terms of the finished look, the addition of the golden ivory is the saving grace as without it I just get a dull, messy sludge look.
Below is with all colours but with the ivory used wet (otherwise it is barely detectable).

I do not find it an easy palette to work with, and though I quite like the finished result I don't think its worth the hassle of application.

I bought this from Boots

10 comments:

  1. It looks so lovely on your eyes. I have the US formula quad and had major fall down with it, wished I would pick up the baked one but it seems this wouldn't help with the formula either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara :) I would hope that the US formula isn't as bad as this, it seems that its been a let down with both versions, such a shame as I do really like the colours
      x

      Delete
  2. I swear this palette is gray. I took a lot of pictures and just don't see the brown or khaki. Plus it's gray on my eyes. I only had a problem with one of the shades but I had a lot of fallout from it. I rarely buy Chanel and this won't get me back there quickly. I don't dislike it though, I just haven't fallen in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it does have a grey look on me in some lights now you mention it. I can't seem to stop buying from Chanel really, I should learn to just say no :) mind you their 5 pan palette for the holiday collection looks nice from the pics floating around online, see I'm making more spending plans already ;)

      Delete
  3. Reading your review, I can definitely hear that noise the Family Fortunes computer used to do for a wrong answer!! Khakis are appealing but effort and poor eyeshadow formula do not. One to miss :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I think that sound could accompany quite a few of my reviews :)
      Very much one to miss, you should save the money for the Charlotte Tilbury range as that looks like it might be a winner :)
      xx

      Delete
  4. I ordered this but I have not received it yet. Oh no I am wondering if I made a good choice. It looks lovely on you though but I can understand not wanting the hassle of having to work it. For the price it should have excellent quality and apply beautifully. So disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see how you find it, the reviews do seem to be very mixed. I'm glad you like the look, I feel very meh about it every time I wear this, it really should have been so much better.

      Delete
  5. Darn...what a bummer because the color look so nice in the compact. Hopefully you'll be able to get some use out of it. I have the Raffinement quad that I like, but otherwise haven't been too impressed with the other ones I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think Chanel need to look at the formula of their shadows, I'd say the duos are the best, the singles are very hit and miss and the baked quads the worst of the three, I'm sure I read somewhere there were plans for a change in formula starting wit the singles but have not seen anymore said on it since.

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin