Sunday 4 August 2013

Guerlain Ecrin 2 Couleurs / Eyeshadow Duo in Two Rock

I was looking forward to the Fall Voilette de Madame collection from Guerlain as the collection debuts the new (and permanent) Ecrin 2 Couleurs shadows.

They are housed in a slender golden case which opens vertically and contains a mirror and double ended foam applicator.

The duos consist of one pure colour with a matte finish and one veil, in either a sparkly or metallic finish. Unfortunately there were no testers out so although the SA kindly got them all out of the box for me to peak at, not being able to test the colours in hindsight proved a mistake.
I bought Two Rock 01 (£30), which is a matte sage green, and sparkly deep charcoal.

The green is very pigmented, unfortunately it looks dull and muddied and very unflattering on me. In terms of formula its reminiscent of the singles in that it adheres very quickly to the skin so its best to pat on the colour. However I don't find it as wearable as the singles, because there is not much movement at all in the formula so that I cannot apply it sheer and its difficult to blend. The sparkly charcoal, is actually not as sparkly as it looks, it applies patchy and has a crumbly texture (as you can see in my picture below after its been used). Due to the crumbliness its hard to use it as a liner.

Both shades work best without a primer but either way I do not find them long lasting, the charcoal is noticeable worse as it has fall out, creases and transfers easily onto the higher part of the lid (this is having tried it over 3 different primers), used wet it does adhere better but fall out and creasing is still a problem.
It seems odd to me that the veil shadow doesn't work at all well applied over the top of the green, since I figured that was its purpose.
Swatched below dry, then the charcoal wet,

Below I have used the green applied over the charcoal, try as I might I can't blend these shades well so  application looks a mess and you can see in the close up photo the crumbliness of the charcoal.


I've had a lot of Guerlain eyeshadows in the past and feel thoroughly disappointed by this, whilst the shadows combined do give a vibrant intense look, the formula is  poor quality and too much of an effort to work with. Now perhaps its just the sparkly veiled duos that have this performance so there might be a ray of light with the metallic ones, but suffice to say that this is a complete fail for me.

I bought this from John Lewis

13 comments:

  1. Oh no :( So disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I wouldn't have got this had I tested it in store, that will teach me to jump the gun ;)
      x

      Delete
  2. Something else we have in common! I was frankly appalled when I swatched these in store. Poor show, Guerlain :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish I had waited for the testers to come out :( I don't get what they were thinking with this formula, can't see it being that popular with their customer base x

      Delete
  3. The green looks gorgeous but it's a pity that the charcoal doesn't work as much as you wish. I would love to swatch the shades myself and see if any of those duo caught my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the green would work better if I could wear warmer tones, seems to look slightly off against my skin tone. I certainty recommend swatching these first before buying :)

      Delete
  4. Oh no Clare what a bummer! I was eyeing the purple and gold duo. Now I, going to hang on till I test them. I hate it when something doesn't deliver especially when I paid so much for it. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could kick myself as I know had I swatched this I wouldn't have bought it, my poor wasted £30 grr
      Yes, I would strongly advise trying these out before buying.

      Delete
  5. omg, that sparkle shade makes me want to cry. That looks terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. makes me want to cry as well, especially when the fall out gets in my eyes..painful.. ;)
      x

      Delete
  6. Seriously unacceptable quality for Guerlain. I know that it isn't easy to make returns in the UK, but I would seriously demand my money back-- just show them the crumbling shadow. Subpar and seriously kind of shocking. I will definitely pass on all of the shadows! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really bad isn't it, as more reviews are coming out it still seems to be quite a mixed opinion though, but I would definitely say to pass, much more nicer things to spend your money on, anyhow we need to save for the Tom Ford Fall :)
      xx

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, those two Tom Ford eyeshadow trios are definitely calling my name!!! I imagine that we will both end up with more than we initially planned on! :)

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin