Wednesday 16 October 2013

Tom Ford She Wolf Ombre Eye Color Trio Palette

A strange feeling of being left out, it seems all and everyone has blogged about the She Wolf trio (£50) from this years Tom Ford Fall collection, the verdict seems unanimous in that its a universally flattering, high quality, essential for your makeup collection. So I HAD to buy it.

The trio contains a matte cool toned dark brown, medium grey/taupe with a satin finish and then a silver/taupe glitter shade.

The non glitter shades feel smooth and have very good payoff and blend quite nicely (though not the best). The glitter shade feels smoother than a lot of these types of finishes and has a good abundance of glitter particles and noticeable colour with almost a wet look.

Swatched below are Rouge Bunny Rouge Black Pepper Jay and then the darkest shade from the trio as I think these are very similar,
 
Unfortunately I am not enjoying this as much as I had expected, primarily due to the glitter shade. Compared to the glitter shade in my Charlotte Tilbury palette, the Tom Ford one is not as well behaved, there is fall out which is physically irritating and it transfers very easily, making it look messy, further to this I also find it creases (even with a primer). 

In terms of the other shades, the middle shade applies darker than it looks in the pan, not necessarily a bad thing but together with the deepest shade I find that once applied there is not enough contrast.
Though I normally love taupes the middle shade looks very dull on me, so my options are a rather blah smoky look or a equally blah smoky look with glitter.

For me, makeup needs to create a better "you" and unfortunately this is not flattering on me. I do think the quality is good overall and I will pick up the Orchid Haze quad that features non glitter shades, but for me this particular palette just doesn't quite work on its own so I'll be pairing the shades with different colours (whilst ignoring the glitter shade).

I bought this from Harrod.com

14 comments:

  1. I was also late to the party with she wolf - Im sorry it did not work for you. Fortunately I do not have shades like these in my stash so they are a welcome addition- -confession tho'- I have only worn this once (as I have been wearing my CT) and the glitter did behave that day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that the glitter wasn't a problem for you, maybe my skin is just difficult ;) I tried it without primer and four different primers and still no joy, I think I need to avoid TF glitter shades in the future :)

      Delete
  2. It is too bad you aren't in love with the palette. I have it coming my way too and I am hoping i will like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am the odd one out as everyone seems to love it, will look forward to seeing how you like it :)

      Delete
    2. I think makeup is subjective.I am sure there are others out there that don't like it much either. That being said, I'm easily swayed by what others say about certain products. Good reviews just make me want the products more especially if it comes with amazing swatches. I bought this palette solely based on swatches and reviews I see online.

      Delete
    3. I do hope you like it.
      I'm very easily swayed as well, even if its not a product on my radar, if I see a good review from a trusted blogger, on the wish list it goes :)

      Delete
  3. Ahh thank you so much for the BPJ comparison. I'm glad I ended up resisting both these trios after going back and forth for months. Though I still want the glitter pans -- why can't companies just sell me ALL their glitter pans as singles I ask??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I just got the one as was very close to buying both of them. So I need to saw the end of the palette off so that you can have the glitter shade :)

      Delete
  4. ooh, that RBR comparison! It really IS similar to black pepper jay. I wonder if I can recreate this with some other stuff.
    I'm sorry She Wolf wasn't to your liking! Yeah, :(, In the Pink was also very ehhhh on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was like hang on, this seems a bit familiar when I put on the darkest shade. I do think the shades are not particularity unique. Still I will not let it deter me from my need to get Orchid Haze :)

      Delete
  5. Aww sorry to hear that this palette doesn't work for you. I have not git my hands on this palette yet and I can't wait to try it on me to see if this really works :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think had it been a two pan without the glitter it would have been more positive :)
      The majority of people seem to really rate it so lets hope you get on well with it should you decide to buy it.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I have blackpepper jay but for whatever reason always forget about it and hardly use it. Didn't even think about it being similar...will have to dig it out. I totally agree about the glitter...wish instead TF had done a quad with the 2 non glittery shades from both she wolf and in the pink. I think that would've made both color palettes more wearable and easier to work with. Sorry the colors don't work as well for you :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will form a anti-glitter group :)
      I have to say that I tend to not reach for my singles as much as palettes, so can understand you having to dig out your blackpepper jay, I'm very lazy really, could just do with some big all in one palette to house anything, though I guess it would be so heavy I couldn't hold it...

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin