Thursday 17 September 2009

Illamasqua Dystopia review part 1

Illamasqua’s Dystopia collection offers a palette of pinks,purples,grays,and charcoal blacks; a mix of intense coupled with luminous iridescence. Whether you go for a bolder look or want something you can get away with in the office you will find something in this collection to suit.

I got the three individual shadows (you can also get these in the pre-made palettes, but I find their packaging a bit bulky)
Synth-white base with lots of pink iridescence
Machine- a matte black base with silver glitter.
Matter –smoky intense gray

I really like all these shades and wore them all together today. I had heard that Machine was lacking in pigment but this is not the case for me, I can use it as a intense black liner or in the crease applied gingerly with a blender brush to give a charcoal. The glitter is quite subtle in the shade. Here is a close up of Matter

As Synth is one of the shimmer shadow formulas it is sheer at first so if I want to move it up a notch I just use it over one of Illamasqua’s cream shadows or use a MAC #214. Matter is perfect for a smoky eye and it does not have any strange blue tones like some grays do.
I got some more items from the collection, but I’ll do that in a separate post.

7 comments:

  1. I found the Dystopia eye shadows dissapointing, the pigmentation is poor and I cannot get them to go on smooth, did yours feel different?
    I had a similar problem with the 2 pigments, they are far too soft on the color payoff and that's is with using a base. I'm so dissapointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wearing Synth over an Illamasqua cream shadow today! Snap!

    It is lighter than I expected but I still like it and it is nice as a highlighter too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pinksparkle84,
    Oh, thats not good. Synth is sheer on but other than that I don't have a problem with them unlike some shades (feint,dizzy for example). I use them over TF shadow insurance, so not sure if that makes a differance ?
    I've got the two pigments as well but haven't used them much yet but from what you say that doesn't sound good.

    Hello Helen,
    Well we must have the same great taste :) I'll have to try it as a highlighter as well. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pictures and reviews! Now I need to add these to my wishlist. I held back and didn't order them when Dystopia was avail. I really want Synth but it's not available for me to order since I am out of Europe :(.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Miss Zoe,
    Is it to do with ingredients why some items are not able to ship out of Europe ?
    I do like Synth, but I am sure a lot of people will find it too sheer, if that helps at all :)
    Thanks for visiting my blog x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - great pictures. I find I need to work hard with Synth to get colour payoff - I need to layer it over a cream as well. It is a very pretty shade though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Grace,
    Thanks. It does seem to be that the shimmer shades can be a bit lacking in the pigment department :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin